BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

7.25.2011

Post #19: Nanaimo Bars

I am Canadian.  There, I said it.

Now that that's out in the open, let me also say that I have been in Texas for over 9 years now, so the 'Eh?' days are, for the most part, just a blurry memory.  However, this dessert, one of my favourites, is native to my motherland, and is still on my mind.  Canada isn't really known for its culinary prowess, but when we do make something good, it's damn good! 

My mom had been making these bars for as long as I can remember, and they pretty much incorporate everything I love in a good dessert: sweet, custardy, chocolate, coconut...well, you get the idea.  I find they are never impressive to look at, but please don't let that fool you!  This is a recipe that once you try it, you'll be hooked!



Nanaimo Bars


BOTTOM LAYER
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
5 tablespoons cocoa
1 large eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup fine coconut

MIDDLE LAYER

1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder
2 cups icing sugar

TOPPING
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 4 ounces chocolate
4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine

Directions

BOTTOM LAYER:
Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler or heavy saucepan.
Add egg & stir to cook & thicken.
Remove from heat.
Stir in remaining ingredients& press firmly into an ungreased 9 x 9-inch pan.

MIDDLE LAYER:
Cream all ingredients together; beat until light.
Spread over bottom layer.

TOPPING:
Melt chips & butter over low heat; cool.
When cooled but still runny, spread over middle layer.
Chill in refrigerator.

1 comments:

Barbie said...

Nanaimo bars are the bomb dot com. :) These looks great! Bellisimo!